Welcome to our blog - Eleven B's in a Hive! Every day there is a whole lot of buzzing going on in the home (hive) of the Burgess family.
With 11 people (our 9 children, my husband and myself) it would bee hard not to!

In between cooking (a whole lot of cooking!), cleaning (a whole lot of cleaning!), we also home school and make soap!
Yup - soap! All natural, awesome for your body, goat's milk soap! We own the goats... and chickens... and some cats... and some rabbits...
and one peacock to top it all off!

This blog is about our family. About making soap. About triumphs and trials. About adoption. It's about life.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sibling Group Adoption - What We (I) Didn't Expect

I have been wanting to write for some time now about a few of the things we experienced through our adoption of five children at one time.  It has been one year since we traveled to Colombia to adopt our 5 children, and one of the main reasons it has taken me so long to write this is that I don't want it to look like I am complaining.  My goal is to give a little bit more information to adoptive parents about what they may also experience.  Information about what the parent may feel that I didn't read about in any of the books or watch on any of the videos.  This is about the mom.  This is about the dad.  This is about the children that were already in the family when the new children were brought in.

There is a ton of information out there about the adoptive children, but this isn't about them.  It's about the feelings, frustrations, and the confusion that the rest of the family may well experience.  It's about knowing that "this too shall pass".  That it will get better.

I will title each post related to this as: Sibling Group Adoption: _________ and will fill in the blank with whatever topic I am writing about.  I pray that God's hand is in my writing - that what I write will help other moms and dads and their children to be just a little more prepared and to know... that it will get better.

In Christ,

Karen


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! We just adopted a sib group of 7 (they've been home 2 1/2 months) so I totally get the adjustments that come with bringing home a larger than typical sibling group and having them join other kids in the family. I don't regret anything even on our bad days :)

    God's Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! We are just starting a journey to hopefully adopt a sibling group from Colombia...and would love to hear anything that you can share in this series, as we already have 8 children, and would love a sibling group of 3-5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have adopted 5 from Colombia 2 years ago and now have heard there is another group of 5 needing a loving home as of Jan 2015. I can give you more info!!!! angeladrayton@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Our family is also in the process of adopting a sibling group! I am always excited to find other people that are going along on the same journey! Would love to hear about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete